The former Union Bank in View Street, Bendigo was built in a Classical style 1876 – 7 to the design of architects – Smith and Johnson. It consisted of a banking chamber and strong room, attached residence for the single male banking staff, smelting house and outbuildings. The bank dates from the time when gold mining was changing from shallow alluvial workings to an industry of deep leads and quartz mining. With the increasing proportion of gold coming from quartz mining, the problem of determining fineness became apparent and facilities for smelting were included alongside the banking premises. The banking chamber is now devoid of any internal fittings, and the implements from the smelting house were removed in 1976 and are now on display in the ANZ museum. The bank continued to function until 1975 when the ANZ operation was transferred to another location. The National Trust acquired the former bank in 1976, and sold it undeveloped in 2004.
The staff residence has undergone substantial restoration and renovation works to create The Maisonettes. The Maisonettes opened for business on July 22, 2004.